MandyM's Reviews > The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen

The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen by Valerie Z. Lewis

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: m-m-romance, free-online
Read from March 19 to 20, 2012

This is the strangely poignant, very funny, and ultimately uplifting love story of Doug, a simple-minded and big-hearted male model and Stephen, the aloof and hostile object of his affections. Stephen is bitter and depressed about the disappointing way his life has turned out. He has succeeded in rebuffing any overtures of friendship until Doug gets a job at his workplace and decides that Stephen is the man for him.

This book takes all the serious issues of sexuality, acceptance, friendship, success and failure, mixes it with some very clever and laugh out loud humour, and adds a quirky love story, to make one of the most enjoyable m/m stories I've ever read. I haven't laughed so much while reading since I can't remember when. Doug's disarming and absurd non sequiturs in the face of Stephen's often cruel remarks are priceless. He moves into Stephen's life and takes over, on the way teaching Stephen about what is really important. I loved all of the characters (Mom, the staff at the paper, the strays that follow Doug home) and now that I've finished the book I miss them. I loved all the little stories from Doug's past. I loved Stephen's painful return to the world and how they all band together to bring down the evil corporation. But most of all I loved Doug. I wish he was real. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen.

03/19/2012
2.0% "Hilarious! I keep losing my place from laughing so much.:D"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie Your review is why I am reading this book right now. And I must say, I HAVE NEVER laughed out loud as many times as I have while reading this book! I love it. And I am convinced that Valerie modeled her character "Doug" after the dog "Doug" in the movie "UP." Because that is exactly who he reminds me of.

MandyM I haven't seen UP but I must check it out! Glad you're having fun with the book!:)

Stephanie It's a great movie :)

message 4: by Renato (new) - added it

Renato Put this on shelf to read next:)

MandyM Hope you like it Renato!

message 6: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Temporarily leaving my self-imposed exile to say that now I am itching to buy and read this book. Must resist!

MandyM Hey Bea!:D