Lindsay Heller's Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery
Read from March 19 to 20, 2012

I don't think there's a person on the planet who hasn't been exposed to Agatha Christie at one point or another. I'm not exception. Though, to be honest, my consumption has dealt with, almost entirely, BBC episodes of Poirot and Marple. But whenever I come across one of her volumes at a thrift store I usually pick it up. This was one such find.

And, of course, I loved it. Read it in one day sort of loved it. That's the way with Christie, I think, you can't manage to put it down because you have to know what happened. This is one of her more famous books, previously published as 'Ten Little Indians'. And... other things. In it, ten people are invited to a secluded island off the coast of Devon on false pretenses. Once they arrive they discover their host, U.N. Owen, is not present and has left a handy gramophone record accusing each one of various murders in the past. They search the island and find no one, which stands that their accuser is one of them. But which one? As the bodies start to pile up and paranoia builds it seems to be clear that no one is intended to leave this island alive.

The characters were fairly shallow, but that's not the sort of story this is. And it was perfect for what it was. Not great literature, but no one ever accused Agatha Christie of that. This is entertaining and clever and well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.