Jocelynne Broderick's Reviews > Songs Without Words

Songs Without Words by Ann Packer

Apr 02, 13

bookshelves: skipped

I couldn't get into this book at all. The thing that made me decide to quit? The author finding it necessary to tell me that Joe went to the kitchen, got a glass of milk, drained that, refilled the glass, and when that was gone, let out a huge burp.

I call that fluff. And the portion of the book I read had way too much.

How about this? Joe had two glasses of milk then went to bed. I already know he's a teenage boy, the burp reference was unnecessary. And I assumed he refilled the glass, unless he's an idiot and got out two separate glasses and filled them each once.

Oh, and this was a kicker: "...." said Brody, feeling much happier than he had any right to feel. A little fluff would have helped me here, because I have no idea why he felt he shouldn't be happy.

UGH!

I feel like I'm being too picky, but still...this book did not have a good balance of detail.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs Without Words.

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I put this book down about half way through. The story wasn't going anywhere and I just didn't care about what happened.

You're not alone in not finishing this book.

message 2: by Staci (new) - added it

Staci I will cross this one off of my reading list!

message 3: by Jocelynne (new) - added it

Jocelynne Broderick Thanks guys! I was beginning to worry that I was being way too picky. But I try to remember...I'm not obligated to like every book I read. It's just not possible. lol

Samira i listened to this on tape, and only finished it because it's my habit. you're not being picky, the book was flawed, and repetitive and my mind often wandered when i was listening.

Kinga Oh yeah, I remember the 'milk' bit. The book was full of those!