Alex's Reviews > Man and Superman

Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw

Jan 02, 15

bookshelves: 2012, reading-through-history, rth-lifetime
Read from March 19 to 21, 2012

Look, there are three awesome acts in this and then there's that whole thing in the middle where Don Juan argues with the devil. Is the rest of the play just an excuse for Act III? Is it, like, the bread around a Don Juan / Satan sandwich? I preferred the bread.

I didn't hate the Don Juan / Satan part. I underlined a whole bunch of stuff that was really smart and / or funny. I just...it obviously goes on too long. The characters acknowledge it themselves!

Pygmalion was better.

Soundtrack:
- The Suffering, Fishbone
- Masters of Reality
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man and Superman.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads How are you liking it?

Alex I love it! Well, I loved the first two acts, and now that I'm fiiiiinally into the fourth I intend to love it again. That third act...I highlighted a bunch of passages because Shaw has a great knack for the bon mots and he's a wise dude, but I have no idea what the point was. Maybe I'll figure it out? I mean, it can't just be self-indulgence, right?

message 3: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 21, 2012 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads With Shaw, it's an open question.

ETA: "Just" self-indulgence? Probably not. Probably includes a fair dose, though.