Dorie's Reviews > Alive in Necropolis

Alive in Necropolis by Doug Dorst

Aug 13, 08

bookshelves: crime-fiction
Read in August, 2008

This book was billed as part police procedural, part ghost story. Michael Mercer is a rookie cop in Colma, California, a city that has so many cemeteries that the dead outnumber the living by thousands to one. I want to say that I think the author shows definite potential with this book. Unfortunately it fails on a few levels. Too much time was spent overdeveloping minor characters at the expense of plot and pacing. Although the ghost characters appeared throughout, Michael’s interaction with them started way too late in the book. I was also not fond of the ending. Although the different story threads were successfully tied off, I was personally disappointed with all of the results. On the good side (and there is one), when the story concentrated on Michael and his job or his relationships with his friends and coworkers, it was engrossing and entertaining. And the author shows a real talent for character development and creating interesting backstories for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alive in Necropolis.