Jo Anne B's Reviews > The Good Daughters

The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard

Mar 19, 12

Read in March, 2012

This was such a predictable story from the get go. It was painful how obvious it was. I actually kept thinking that I had already read this because of its predictability. Two girls born on the same day referred to as Birthday Sisters forced to be a part of each other's lives based on this fact. But of course there was more to it. Can you guess?

I enjoyed  reading about the farming techniques in this book. These were actually the best parts or the book. Meanwhile, this seemed like a coming of age book for Dana and Ruth witnessing them go through their stages of growth and come into their sexuality. Ruth and Dana's relationship with Ruth's father Edwin was endearing. They both found his love for farming infectious. He was an admirable man with a passion for his "daughters" which were his strawberry plants he was trying to create into a new patented species that was the sweetest tasting strawberry yet.

The writing was just ok. It actually seemed like a young adult book. But there were secrets to be found out which will make you keep reading just to reassure you that you had it all figured out from the beginning.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Daughters.