Susan Ashcraft's Reviews > The Trouble With Half a Moon

The Trouble With Half a Moon by Danette Vigilante

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: children, faves, fiction, first, firstread, novel, recommended, teen, young-adult
Recommended for: everyone
Read from April 26 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I don't normally read or review middle grade or teen novels. But I decided to take a chance on this one because the synopsis intrigued me. I picked it up around 10 o'clock at night. I was only going to read the first chapter just to get an idea of the books flow and characters. Next thing I know its 230 in the morning and I'm sitting with the book in one hand, wiping away tears with the other. An incredibly touching book, with real insight into what a young girl of 13 feels about life, love, friendship and the death of her young brother.

We first meet Delilah, Dellie to her friends, one late evening as the sound of a gun shot wakes up Dellie and her parents and the other residents of the building. They live in an apartment building in the poorer side of town and everyone knows you don't go out at night. They live on an upper floor and the shot was somewhere on the first floor. When her dad leaves the apartment to see what he can find out about the shot, Dellie and her mom are left alone, very afraid. Dellie's dad comes back saying everything is okay, and the small family go back to bed, still fearful, none of them sleeping, all of them thinking of Louis, Dellie's little brother who died just months ago.

Corey is a 5 year old boy who lives with his abusive mother on the first floor of the building. Corey is always hungry and several people in the building sneak him food, including Dellie. She is afraid her parents will find out and put a stop to it. She's also afraid if they see Louis they will become upset because he is so very like Louis.

Dellie and her friend Kayla walk to school together in the mornings, but because her parents fear for her safety, Dellie's father walks several feet behind them until they arrive at the school. Dellie is 13 and while she misses her brother so very much, she still wants to be like her friends, able to go outside and play, to walk by herself to school, and to go to the store. But the trauma her parents suffered with the lose of Louis, her little brother, they will not let her out of their sight. They fear the only way to keep her safe is to keep her close and in sight at all times. Her friend Kayla one day stops talking to her and won't tell her whats wrong. Dellie's life is spiraling down, and then Michael, a boy in her school talks to her and a new neighbor, Miss Shirley, moves into the building.

This is the story of a young girl, her guilt over her brother's death and the part she played in it, the difficulties of friendship, first romance and over-protective parents.

And while this might sound like a depressing read, let me assure you it is not! The author weaves an incredible story that is filled with hope, love and personal redemption. It is truly remarkable how the author knows a teenager's thinking and thoughts so well.

This novel is perfect reading for middle grade to teen readers as well as adults who like a well told, though simply worded book.

I won this book through GoodReads and my review was unsolicited.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble With Half a Moon.