Sandy's Reviews > Breath, Eyes, Memory

U 50x66
Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: march
Read from March 19 to 20, 2012

At the beginning of this story, Sophie Caco was living in Haiti when her mother, who she wasn't close to, gave her a ticket to fly to New York. When she arrived there, she found out that her mother was raped when she was younger, and learned that her mother values purity even more than Haitian religion. Her mother regularly tested her for her virginity, but one day she got sick of it and purposely failed her test. Sophie was thrown out of the house, then married her then forbidden love - a white man named Joseph. She finally mustered up the courage to have a child with Joseph, but depression settled in from being home sick forces her to flee her home while Joseph is on vacation. While in Haiti, she runs into her mother and discovers that she is pregnant with her new boyfriend's baby, but in the end her mother commits suicide.

I was recommended to this book by Jasmine H., but reading the back of the book, it sounded very intriguing. I also enjoy these genre types.

I finished this book because if I didn't, my curiosity would eat me alive. Mainly, I finished it because it always kept my attention, and therefore I finished the book.

I would recommend this to Shawna, Pei Zhi and Ashley because I think this book needs a certain amount of maturity and respect, hence why I think they would be great candidates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breath, Eyes, Memory.

03/19/2012 page 38
16.0% "Just started reading this, I'm confused about the foreign words. This story is refreshing; the way the author is writing the scenes are excellent. Currently Sophie is boarding a plane in which she is going to visit her mother who lives in NY. Since she barely remembers her mother, I predict some awkward atmospheres."
03/19/2012 page 45
19.0% "Sophie feels isolated and alone, I feel sorry for her."
03/19/2012 page 51
22.0% "Wow, I feel offended for Sophie and ultimately Haitians right now. Sophie's mother is telling her about the importance of learning English quick, or else pay the consequence of being teased or beat. Some American kids also have apparently learned that only the four H's could get AIDS - Heroin addicts, Hemophiliacs, Homosexuals and Haitians. I hope there actually wasn't anything like that ever on TV."
03/19/2012 page 53
23.0% "I have noticed that the author often describes the skin colour of a new character. Also, Sophie's mom just bought skin lightening cream. Maybe this infers that skin tone is of high importance in the Haitian society?"
03/19/2012 page 61
26.0% "Wow, I just found out why Sophie and her mother were separated. Sophie's mother was raped!"
03/19/2012 page 131
56.0% "So I learned that Haitians are obsessed with purity, and since Sophia's mother was raped, her mother often tests her to ensure her virginity! In my opinion, I think that would be extremely embarrassing, wow. Really, really embarrassing."
03/19/2012 page 160
68.0% "It's getting really intense! I think my eyes are burning from not blinking for too long."