Janette's Reviews > Outtakes of A Walking Mistake

3198413
Mar 20, 12

Recommended to Janette by: Ashley
Read from March 19 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Most of the time on goodreads I rate books but don't write reviews. When I finished this one, I triumphantly marked it four stars in my stamp of approval before moving on to my next read. Then I kept thinking about it. And thinking. I recommended it to Kristy Z and sung its praises, but still I couldn't stop thinking about it. I read it on the recommendation of a new GR friend (thanks, Ashley!), and thought the synopsis sounded interesting. I was expecting an interesting story of a teen struggling to accept his homosexuality, but what I got was so much more.

In the beginning I'll admit that I thought Tyler's behavior was a little stereotypical. I was bordering on irritated by him being so flamboyant and obvious, but I quickly realized that this was necessary. As a reader I needed to understand Tyler's way of thinking and feeling, because there were times when I didn't necessarily agree with his actions or thoughts. Without that understanding I could have written him off as insensitive or uncaring, but Anthony Paull connects you with him in a way that makes you curious as to how it's going to end. It was refreshing to have a MC who is comfortable with his sexual preference. The true struggle for Tyler is how to assert that preference on those around him (family, friends, neighbors) who are close-minded and less accepting. His internal debate over whether or not being gay makes him worthy of true love or if that even exists for guys like him is at times heartbreaking.

While homosexuality is definitely a main theme in this book, it's not the only one. Paull weaves a story that includes sensitive issues like sexual abuse and assault, abandonment, and drugs & alcohol. For me the overall main theme was love. Love in its many forms or in ANY form. Everyone is driven by it, whether they realize it or not. Many times this desperation or depth of feeling had me on the verge of tears, but only once did I actually cry. LOL

I highly recommend this book even if you're someone who doesn't typically read LGBT literature. It's funny, quirky, snarky and thought provoking at the same time. I hope writing this review will help me move on so I can start my next read, but I have a feeling this one's going to stick with me for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outtakes of A Walking Mistake.