Muphyn's Reviews > Briar Rose

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction, fantasy-magic-fairytales, holocaust, historical, ww2, eastern-europe, book-challenge
Read from April 04 to 07, 2011, read count: 1

Hmm, I first rated this 3 stars, now I'm debatting to downgrad it to 2 stars. The start was good, the ending wasn't too bad but the middle was seriously weak - I was not impressed (and I can't even be bothered to go into all the details).

Just a couple of things...
1) Once Becca got to Poland (and oh, wasn't that all so very easy all of a sudden?), she was just sooo annoying, constantly correcting Magda's English. Interestingly, Magda only seemed to have trouble constructing simple sentences in English, complex ones was quite a different cattle of fish and one she mastered quite beautifully ("She has raised me since my parents are gone (p.119) cf. "I think ... that there is a man who will not let death take him by the hand until he has finished what he has begun." (p.158)).

2) I'd really appreciated a better copyeditor; please do double-check the names of concentration camps mentioned... Sachenhausen is not the name of the labour camp north of Berlin near Oranienburg (not Oranienberg, big difference), it's Sachsenhausen. That really seriously irked me; perhaps because I've been to Sachsenhausen at least a couple of times. But perhaps I should just be happy that Auschwitz and Majdanek were spelled correctly?? I also seriously doubt that Polish Jews spoke Hebrew to one another, I'm pretty sure that would have been Yiddish... never mind.

On the upside, Briar Rose is intriguing. Taking the concept of a fairytale and weaving in a holocaust story was definitely not something I'd read before, especially with the take on homosexuals. (view spoiler); Poland is an awfully conservative and Catholic country, is it not?

Well, maybe I'll stick with the 3 star rating for now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Briar Rose.

04/06/2011 page 110

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mahriana (new) - added it

Mahriana Rofheart oh wow - I read this book ages ago and remember loving it. I was probably about 12 at the time, though, so that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually good. :) Hope you enjoy!

Muphyn I think I'm enjoying it - I keep getting interrupted and it's so thin, I really want to get to it tonight and finish it!