Sheila's Reviews > The World We Found

2039269
Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: cultural, current_issues, relationships
Read in March, 2012

The last book we read in our local book group was set in India and America and explored cultural differences in the light of attitudes to love. Some members complained it was an easy read and not really book club material as there’d be nothing to discuss. All the same, I shall recommend Thrity Umrigar’s The World we Found to our book club when we next choose books. It’s another easy read, it explores cultural differences, not just between India and the United States, but also between Hindu and Muslim, between then and now, and between women and men, and it looks at questions of living and dying. Maybe that will give us more to talk about (though, to be honest, that other book provoked plenty of discussion too.)

“What’s the clarifying principal?” these student activists asked as they tried to change the world in a time of turmoil in India. But Armaiti lives in America now, and her impending death lends a curious clarity to many things, not just for her, but also for the three friends she hopes will visit her.

The World we Found reveals how different the lives we lead might be from those we once imagined, then digs deeper to find if we’re still the people we were. Modern-day India comes to vivid life—its foods, its people, its prejudice and its pain. Past choices determine present lives, but some of those choices weigh heavier than others. Perhaps that’s where the clarity comes in, revealing a greater importance in the present and the freedom to make new decisions now.

The author’s depiction of her characters is so completely true to life that I find myself regretting a man’s mistakes, condemning his attitudes, and still feeling an aching sorrow for him. This novel is filled with India’s beauty, the beauty of true humanity, and true love—an easy read that’s truly hard to put down.

Disclosure: I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World We Found.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Cindy Love your final paragraph - I feel exactly the same way towards the characters!