Kayt's Reviews > Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder

Delivered from Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell

Dec 21, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from March 19 to December 21, 2012

Irony: Taking nine freaking months to finish this because...I kept getting distracted.

This is a great overview of adult ADD/ADHD, everything from which acronym to use to dead-on descriptions of the ADD brain to overviews of various treatments.

One thing that was helpful just as a reader was being able to see myself reflected in it: I've come up with explanations for my default circadian rhythm (noon-four am) or "distracting myself enough to pay attention," and then to see those same things written down just made me feel a little less alone and freakish.

And, though it's written for people with the disorder, it does a good job explaining things and would probably be a helpful resource for a non-ADD friend/family member wanting to understand it a little.

But, you say, you took for-freaking-ever to read it. Is it slow or boring? Um, no, not really. Occasionally I would have to stop because I was upset--at my circumstances, at my brain, whatever--but usually, despite the very readable writing style, I just felt like reading something else, usually with action and fantasy and sarcasm.

The downside is that the book is now seven, almost eight, years old. This wasn't a problem except when I wanted to see what it said, in the very fascinating medication section, about Vyvanse. That drug didn't come out until several years after the book's release, so it's not there. Outside of that, though, I didn't come across anything that would be outdated at this point.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delivered from Distraction.

08/31/2012 page 115
28.0% "Irony: I started this book in March, and keep...getting 'interrupted' in the middle of it."