ephrielle's Reviews > Darker Still

Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber

Jun 14, 12

Read from March 19 to 22, 2012

From the get go this book stands out. It is told in journal format which contributes to its uniqueness. Another contributor is the heroine and her status as mute. I like that it begins with an asylum of sorts. By the twenty-second page I was completely hooked. Very compelling and engrossing. After so few pages I found myself already trying to imagine up the possibilities hidden on the unread pages. I didn't want to put the book down but I also wanted some silence to properly focus on the story.

There is a point in this story when Natalie mentions Alice in Wonderland. I am no fan of Alice in Wonderland. While this work does seem to grab something from Alice in Wonderland it is done in a far more believable way. Can one actually say "believable" when the main character is stumbling in and out of a painting?

For me the downfall to this book is the high standard it set in the beginning. How do you up the ante? When I was reading the end it felt a bit dull and slow. In hindsight I can see it is anything but. There is a lack of propriety in this book. It doesn't fit well with the time period. I don't buy the excuse, "It isn't really our bodies," if it looks like it then it is. Seems it would be hard to restrain oneself from treading paths already trodden even if only metaphysically. It ruined the picture of him being a gentleman, as well as making her seem less virtuous. Then he has the gall to promise he will be a gentleman to her father. I don't believe it for a minute.

Great read, I keep shuddering at the idea of this book being translated into a movie. It would be a ride through the love tunnel and terror house. So, very beautiful and serene, but around the corner a fright. The feeling of innocence the pages contains make the scary moments that much more potent. Not even the mention of demons put me on my guard. There are some startling moments surely inspired from the movie, The Ring.

Content:
Swearing: mild
Sexual: moderate
Violence: moderate
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker Still.

03/21/2012 page 150