Jenny's Reviews > The Troupe

The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett

Apr 12, 12

Read from April 02 to 09, 2012

Having already enjoyed Robert Jackson Bennett's previous books (Mr Shivers and The Company Man), I had high expectations when it came to reading his third novel, The Troupe. I wasn't disappointed.
The Troupe, quite simply, is a marvel. Bennett's storytelling takes the reader on a thoroughly engrossing journey across the surreal landscape of vaudeville. But this, as you may have anticipated, is not a straightforward tale of one troupe's travels along the vaudeville circuit.

Our troupe - or, rather, Silenus's Troupe - have rather more to them than meets the eye. Professor Kingsley Tyburn is a master puppeteer, but the audience can never see the strings and something about his puppets doesn't quite seem right; Franny Beatty is a strongwoman, but capable of far more than the usual displays of the act; Collette de Verdicere is a beautifully talented dancer with deeper connections to the Troupe than we first suspect; Stanley is a mute cellist who I defy any reader not to love; and Silenus himself is carrying more secrets than a conspiracy theorist would know what to do with.
No wonder, then, that when he joins the Troupe, 16-year-old George Carole finds himself getting a lot more than he bargained for.

From the age-old good vs. evil fight to fascinating battles of wits with faeries, adrenalin-fuelled chases to poignant struggles to overcome grief, The Troupe really does reach far beyond the boundaries of genre.

I could recommend this book highly for any number of reasons, but what I liked most was Bennett's ability to layer so much story within the pages. Not one word of this book is filler; everything has meaning. And it's the moments when the little clues start to add up and you get a sudden rush of realisation that pushes this book to the five star mark. Each character has a moment like this, when the reader suddenly understands what (often dreadful) secrets lie behind all the oddities. It is a mark of Bennett's talent that even the characters with the least amount of page-space stay with you long after you turn the last page.

So whether you live for fantasy or horror, romance or inspirational novels - The Troupe is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troupe.

04/06/2012 page 148