Steven's Reviews > Flagrant Conduct: The Story of Lawrence v. Texas

Flagrant Conduct by Dale Carpenter

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: history, social-sciences
Read from April 06 to 16, 2012

A very readable history of one of the most important U.S. Supreme Court cases in my lifetime. You know -- Lawrence v. Texas, the one that said I was no longer living a life of crime just by leading my day-to-day life in my home state. From the incident itself (which probably didn't even really happen!) up through the final decision, this is really quite a riveting story. It was most interesting to see how a seminal case like this is handled by a national organization through the process, carefully ensuring that it makes its way to the highest court. I was really impressed by how smart and politically astute the Lawrence team was, and dumbfounded at the lackluster defense that Texas brought to the table. I got the impression that not a single judge who heard the case in Texas really thought that Texas' sodomy law made any sense, but most of them were to scared of the voters to do anything about it.

If nothing else, I came away from this book convinced that Texas has GOT to reform it's constitution to do away with the election of judges.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flagrant Conduct.