Sandra 's Reviews > Fifty-one Shades: A Parody

Fifty-one Shades by Andrew Shaffer

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: satire, made-of-win, humor, giggle-snorts
Read in March, 2012

Funny as hell and points out all the things that made the original so lulz-worthy.

ETA 5/19/12:

Sorry, Andrew Shaffer - you've lost points because you decided to join this bandwagon and sell your parody. I feel lied to, and that you sold out.

ETA 7/25/12:

removed rating after reading the entire parody.

9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty-one Shades.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Annmarie Nooooo! I am surprised! No reason to sell a parody, that's the beauty of them. Disappointing.

message 10: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Yeah, I'm very disappointed too. :(

message 9: by Sheryn (new)

Sheryn Isn't it wrong to knock stars off for reasons outside the book's content?

message 8: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Sheryn wrote: "Isn't it wrong to knock stars off for reasons outside the book's content?"

Isn't it wrong to come onto someone else's review and question their rating? Why don't you go back into your review space and do what you want in there?

Kthxbai.

message 7: by Sheryn (new)

Sheryn Well, I leave this comment because I see them on all sorts of things on the Internet and without reading all the comments I might choose not to read a book or buy a product. For example, I was interested in buying the Nook and it only had 3.5 stars so it makes me seem like it's not good. Then I started reading the reviews and realized that people were giving it 1 star and saying stuff like "bc it's still backordered". Shouldn't the stars reflect the quality of the content?

Isn't that what we're reviewing here on GR? The quality of the content and not other things? Surely there are some community standards... Or shouldn't there be?

I'm not trying to be a douche, I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion/ respectful debate about it.

message 6: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Why don't you go and read my review of the actual book? I wouldn't make a purchase decision on something that was posted online and isn't even complete. If you're thinking of buying this parody, you should check out the reviews for the actual book. It's called Fifty Shames of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin. You'll see my review of it there as well.

I see your point, but your initial comment felt accusatory, and I didn't appreciate that.

message 5: by Sheryn (new)

Sheryn I'm sorry that it sounded accusatory, you're right- it did. I didn't mean it that way. I appreciate your input on the parody and your input on the author selling out. I've just been finding a lot of problems with reviews, like I said with people docking stars for irrelevant things (which I find misleading sometimes). Look at YouTube... You can find videos on there that have 10,000,000+ views, so you click on the video to watch it and only then do you see it has 999,999,000 thumbs down.

I'm sorry for offending you. I work a boring job and thought this interesting. Please don't take your review down.

message 4: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra I'm not one to dock points for irrelevant things. When Mr. Shaffer announced that he was publishing what he had initially offered for free, it felt to me that he was selling out, much like E.L. James did, when she took her Twilight fanfiction and turned it into three books. Perhaps my emotions got the better of me at that point, because I'm entirely against puling fanfiction and selling it for profit.

When Mr. Shaffer published the book, I requested an ARC and rated it accordingly. That review is separate from this one, because the book has a different title.

If you click through the rest of my reviews, you'll see that I usually stay away from rating anything other than the content.

I understand your point, and I'm just as frustrated as you when I see Amazon ratings that don't mean anything, but it might be a good idea to remember that while those reviews don't help you in your quest to find the right product for you, the people leaving those reviews have a right to rate a product any which way they want. I find that word of mouth, meaning talking to my friends and asking questions in my circle usually gets me better results than relying on Amazon ratings.

I'm not taking this review down. It applies to the first three chapters only. :)

Thanks for the apology - I appreciate it. :)

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra By the way, I have a Nook Color and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers before I'd give it up. :) I absolutely love it.

message 2: by Sheryn (new)

Sheryn It says that the review was removed on 25 July 2012?

Thanks for your responses, it was nice to hear. :)

You're right, we all have the right to rate things as we see fit. Just as we all have the right to call people derogatory names if their YouTube video sucks. Haha.

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Sheryn wrote: "It says that the review was removed on 25 July 2012?

Thanks for your responses, it was nice to hear. :)

No, I only removed the star rating. The review itself remains, as do my comments in the review space. :)