Wealhtheow's Reviews > Kitty and the Silver Bullet

Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn

Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy
Read on March 15, 2012

Ever since her friend TJ was killed, Kitty has stayed far away from the abusive pack alphas in her home city. But a family emergency pulls Kitty back to Denver, where she has to confront the pack she left behind. Since she's been gone, it's gotten even more dysfunctional, and meanwhile the vampire Master of the city is increasing his demands of the wolves. One of Kitty's old friends asks for her help in breaking the Master's hold, but Kitty wants to stay out of the power struggle. But when the coup fails, Kitty realizes that she can't let the status quo keep deteriorating. With fewer allies and more to lose than ever before, Kitty makes a power play of her own.

This is one of the strongest books in the series, and one that kept my eyes glued to the page. Vaughn never gets lazy about characterization: every book, we understand Kitty a little better. I love the strategies she uses, effective ones seem like common sense but are rarely utilized in fiction. (view spoiler) The last few books have expanded our knowledge of the lycanthrope and human worlds, and given us a little taste of vampires. This one makes it clear how much is still mysterious, which just whetted my appetite for more. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty and the Silver Bullet.