Dixie Goode's Reviews > And She Was

And She Was by Alison Gaylin

Jan 08, 13

bookshelves: suspense-mystery
Read from March 19 to 27, 2012

When I first picked up this book from the paperback shelf in the supermarket and read the back blurb, I was convinced it was the basis for the TV series, "Unforgettable" about Detective Carrie Wells. I even noticed that the word "unforgettable" was used on the front of the book, above the title, to describe "And She Was." Certainly the back blurb could equally describe the TV show, and it isn't a common premise or about a common mental condition.

Both are about a woman who becomes an investigator because her younger sister is kidnapped when she is a child. Both also have a rare mental condition where they remember EVERYTHING, every smell, sight, sound, background info . . . and for both of them this began with the sisters's disappearance. Both use their memory to solve other people's problems but can't solve their own family's tragedy.

But they are not the same story. In the book, the woman is a private investigator, and her condition is agonizing in that a small detail can throw her out of her current life and force her to relive her past, even when she really needs to be present for her own daughter. The characters who populate the novel are unique and important to the story and I came to care about them. The book was well written and hard to put down.

If you like suspense and detective stories and a touch of psychic power, you will love this book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And She Was.