Jennifer Haight's Reviews > You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations

You're Not Doing It Right by Michael Ian Black
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You're Not Doing It Right.

Jennifer Haight I've followed Michael Ian Black on Twitter for sometime, along with almost 2 million other people. I got a sense of his dry self effacing humor from there but honestly am not familiar with his film or television work or his previous books. I nabbed an Advanced Uncorrected Proof at the American Library Association Meeting in Dallas because the title instantly drew me in: You're Not Doing It Right; Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations.

Black uses a simple and at times painfully honest writing style. He doesn't shy away from sharing some of his poor decisions and actions and even more rare than admitting his mistakes? He actually tries to learn from them. The book opens with Black admitting that he puruses the internet for picture of Kevin Federline after he put on weight. He calls these his FKF pics (Fat Kevin Federline).

"I've never met Kevin Federline and do not know anything about him as a person, but I project onto him all the worst fears I have for myself: fear of wasted potential, fear of failure, of losing my family, of making terrible hair decisions."

There isn't a topic that Black leaves on the table. He talks about how and where he'd try to pick up girls.

"...it is the Met where I go when I am in my twenties, bored, and on the prowl. Although I like art, I have no passion for it. My passion is for girls who like art."

*sidenote- Michael Ian, if you read this please note: I am a lifelong art fanatic and never spend more then a few moments looking at the Impressionist pieces. The REALLY cool art girls will be looking at Abstract Expressionism.

He discusses his fear of becoming a father.

"I'm not even sure what a father is supposed to do other than complain about having to shave."

He admits that he doesn't believe that marriage is necessarily a realistic institutuion.

"Back when we all died young and beautiful (or at least young), marriage was easier to sustain. By the time you'd grown tired of each other, one of you probably had tuberculosis anyway. Now that we're all living so long, the idea of looking at the same person every day for fifty or sixty years might be more than our species is equipped to handle."

This is a worthwhile and quick read for anyone that enjoys learning about another person's life view. He includes fresh antecdotes and enough humor to keep you smiling even through the difficult topics of death and famial stress. My only complaint (and this may have changed in the final copy) is that there are very few contractions used which clogged up the pace for me in certain points of the book. Lot's of: I do not, and I am, where an I don't or I'm would have read more smoothly. This however is a small complaint and doesn't change the overall experience of reading the book. I really enjoyed this read. It's a comfortable and interesting read. After reading it, you feel like you've had a couple of beers with a really cool guy.