Brandon's Reviews > Sleeper Season Two

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: favorites, fiction, comix, noir, 2012
Recommended to Brandon by: Stephen
Read from March 27 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

I had a feeling I wouldn't be disappointed. That being said, considering how strong season one had been, the doubt still lingered in the back of my mind. Could Phillips and Brubaker create something as strong as the original?

The answer: Yes!

Season one ends with Holden Carver's own personal Empire Strikes Back. All hope is gone for an eventual escape. The documents that could've saved him have been destroyed and the only man who could lift him from enemy territory has been shot, falling into a coma.

Holden realizes that he wants out of this life once and for all, intending to do whatever he can to accomplish it. Who can he trust in making his break? Can he trust anyone? Will he be able to take Miss Misery with him? All the answers are in this second volume.

The quality of season two is remarkable. Not only is it as strong as the original but it's surprising to be told it wasn't even supposed to happen. In the acknowledgements, Brubaker reveals that he was content in leaving the series as it was following the finish of season one. After being swayed by others to continue the story, he put together an outline and a series conclusion within minutes.

The depth here is ridiculous with multiple double crosses, keeping the reader in the dark for the majority of the second half. Considering how much is going on at anytime, Brubaker and Phillips manage to make it easy to follow.

Brubaker and Phillips are a team not to be ignored. They're far and above my favorite collaborative team working in comics and I look forward to reading anything and everything they put out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeper Season Two.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kemper (new)

Kemper Is this the entire season 2 in one collection?

Brandon I believe so.

I haven't read anything aside from the season one volume but the ending of this collection seems to indicate that nothing further is going to happen.