Fiona's Reviews > The Secret of Lost Things

The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay

F_50x66
Mar 19, 12

I was really keen to read what other people had thought of this book, and was heartened to see that I wasn't the only one.

My English teacher in school taught me to give a book 100 pages before giving in on it. Glancing down and seeing a folio still in only double figures my heart sank. But I stuck with it as, like so many others who have written reviews here, I really thought it would be just my cup of tea. I even discovered it in the crammed shelves of a second hand book store and thought all my birthdays had come at once.

I couldn't warm to any of the characters really. And was thoroughly put off by the encounter between Geist and Rosemary. I only stuck with it after that in the dire hope it might get better, but it just didn't.

For me it was such an almost book. It was almost good. There were some great ideas, but it seemed to me like an early draft from a writer that was too young in their talent to be published (I say this knowing nothing about the author and openly admit it), but the story felt almost juvenile in its form.

It ended up being a confused book. One that could have really gripped and, with its Melville plot, had real meat. Or a curl up and with a bar of chocolate and be a teenager again pretending to work in a bookshop, idealistic world blah blah blah (don't get em wrong, I love those kind of books too). But it was neither and that's what ruined it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Lost Things.