La Petite Américaine's Reviews > Girls of Riyadh

Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea

Aug 09, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: middle_east, sucked
Recommended to La Petite Américaine by: No one. Should have paid more attention to Khaya's review
Recommended for: SATC Idiots
Read in August, 2008

This author has watched and adored Sex and the City so much that she decided to write her own book about it, with the backdrop of Riyadh instead of Manhattan. No, it doesn't say that anywhere in the book, but it's obvious enough from reading it.

So, four superficial girls with too much money, who can't appreciate the lives and opportunities they have (I boldly assume it's better to be filthy rich in Saudi Arabia, as the characters are, than poor), whine about equally superficial stories, including men and the constraints of their oppressive society. Could be more interesting if not completely contrived, and in my opinion, made up in the author's Carrie-Miranda-Charlotte-Samantha worshiping mind.

I hate Sex and the City, but at least the show asks a few interesting questions like, can you be friends with an ex? or, are all men freaks? This book just backs up most womens' stereotypes of Islamic/Saudi society (uhh, it sucks, esp. if you're a woman) and offers no insights at all.

LAME. SUCKED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls of Riyadh.

06/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K I was also very unimpressed with this book. Too bad -- the premise had potential, and it could have been complex and enlightening.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Yes -- the world would surely be a better place if more people listened to me! ;)