Barbara A's Reviews > Solar

Solar by Ian McEwan

Mar 19, 12

Read from March 14 to 18, 2012

So droll. So noxious. Can both be true?

Absolutely. When the central character is an overweight, over-sexed, amoral Nobel Laureate for physics, you can bet you're in for a gleeful ride. Existing primarily to take advantage of women and of boondoggles, Michael Beard is our personal guide into marital infidelity, academic jealousy and a complete lack of self-restraint. His free trip to the Arctic Circle, alone, is worth the price of the paperback.

This book is, as has been mentioned in virtually every review, a departure for McEwan, both stylistically and geographically. The last third of the book is set in New Mexico, and McEwan is clearly a fan of all this American, particularly our friendliness and our barbeque. "Solar" proves, without a doubt, that McEwan, one of my favorite authors, can take on dark comedy and satire remarkably well, but I don't think he should live there. Nothing, for me, will surpass the sentence in "Atonement" when, and I paraphrase, "...the playwright leaned her head on her mother's shoulder, not realizing that this would be her shining moment."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solar.