Traci Haley's Reviews > Before I Go to Sleep

Mar 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, mystery-suspense
Read from March 19 to 23, 2012

Last night I would have said my rating for this book was solidly 4 stars. This morning I think it's more around 3 1/2. Had you asked me halfway through the book what I would predict my rating would be, I would have said 5 stars and predicted the book would be a "favorite of the year" contender. I'm not exactly sure where it went wrong -- the book started off quite strongly and I spent the entire time reading it DYING to know what would happen. I just *knew* there would be a spectacular twist at the end!

Well, there was a twist at the end, but it wasn't as spectacularly shocking as I'd hoped. In fact, I kind of guessed it a little bit before it actually happened. And then the open-ended ending left me feeling a bit used and discarded. Also, after finishing I started thinking about the book and the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much disbelief I'd had to suspend to believe the whole scenario of the book.

In any case, I think the book was worth reading because there is quite a lot of really great suspense through a good 3/4 of the book. And even the way the twist plays out is good, although not as surprising as I hoped for. But if you're going to read the book, I'd suggest that this is more of a "get from the library" sort of book rather than a "run out and buy" sort of book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go to Sleep.