Katie's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: audio, ya, audio-and-paper, alpha-type-hero
Read from March 19 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

I think in order to fairly and accurately assess On Jellico Road, I'm going to have to read it again. First off, a large portion of the beginning I listened to the audio version. I wouldn't recommend this. The reason for that is definitely not because the reader was bad, as a matter of fact she was excellent but there are quite a few instances where Taylor is reading Hannah's novel and it's extremely hard to follow. In the book, these parts are indicated by italic print, making it obvious it is not Taylor's narration that is on center stage. In the audio version until you know there even IS a novel that Taylor is reading, it makes a confusing scenario even more so. So much happened, so much information was provided at the beginning of the book... but while I was reading those parts, I was too busy saying to myself; What the hell is going on here??? That maybe I could have paid much closer attention and gotten more out of it. There were so many "A Haaaa" and "Holy shit" moments later in the book that I felt like I robbed myself a little by not paying closer attention earlier on in my reading. I think as many "a haas" as I got out of it, I still missed quite a few of them.

I rated this book 4 stars which to me is a good book. The only reason it didn't rate 5 stars or an "excellent" read was because it took so freaking long to get into it. I seriously was hanging on by my finger nails and the encouragement of my GR friends that the book was worth sticking out. It totally was. It's going to make me double think the next time I DNF a book.

I will be rereading this soon, and I'm predicting when I experience Taylor and her friends the next time around I'll be bumping my rating up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

03/19/2012 "I need to read for myself what the excitement is all about!" 6 comments
03/20/2012 "I've been naughty... this is so confusing I've sought out a few spoilers."