Robin's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Mar 05, 14

bookshelves: for-upper-elementary-kids, friendship
Read from March 02 to 05, 2014

Wonder is a wonder. August's family is wonder-ful. They aren't perfect, they've made mistakes but, they love him and one another. And they want him to have a full life in the wider world,even though it means facing more people who have to adjust to the shock of his physical appearance.

If you went to middle school, you know it isn't most people's favorite time of their lives. It's awkward, scary, and isolating for most of us. As life gets better, we tend to forget. Then, you have kids, and oh, yeah, it's a weird time for them, too. If only we could leap into being comfortable in our bodies and personalities and friendships and strengths without going through middle school!

Palacio writes about these things through the eyes of several kids. I enjoyed each of their perspectives. I loved the reminder that there's always more than one side to a story -- We should allow people to share their side and maybe we'll understand their actions.

Of course, Palacio has given us a touching story with a happy ending. It's not realistic. It is hopeful. Why not write stories of how we wish things could be, show a way that we can work towards?

As Mr. Tushman summed up in his graduation speech at the end, this book is about courage and kindness. Wake up every day, try to be kind. If you fall short, be brave enough to try to do better tomorrow.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

03/02/2014 marked as: currently-reading