Melissa McShane's Reviews > Who Got Rid of Angus Flint?

Who Got Rid of Angus Flint? by Diana Wynne Jones

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: own, fantasy, humor, young-adult, modern-setting-fantasy
Read in March, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this short book (novella? Novelette?). I mean, Diana Wynne Jones is brilliant, and in this early story she's messing around with POV and the naive narrator like she did with Eight Days Of Luke, so I admire the storytelling. On the other hand, the story itself is unpleasant--an obnoxious houseguest, parents who are too "polite" to kick him out (too wimpy, really), kids who are left to suffer because of him. I mean, Angus Flint actually picks the kids up by the hair and whirls them around. And it's not in an exaggerated, not-realistic way like in Roald Dahl's Matilda. He abuses these kids and the parents do nothing. If it were my house that guy would have been out the door with my foot up his butt. I don't know what Jones was going for here, but it's too cruel to be enjoyable and not exaggerated enough to be funny. So now I've read it for The Big DWJ Read and will move on to a much nicer book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Got Rid of Angus Flint?.