Stephanie's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Hands down, this is my favorite angel paranormal romance.

Which is really weird because I just don't like YA romance.

And I've had pretty bad luck with angel paranormal anything (besides Illuminate which is still okay, but not as good as this one.)

And this is why I liked it!

1) Clara is an angel. And she knows it.
2) Clara has a purpose. And she's on it.

I think that about defines it. She's not just stumbling onto angel-ness as a big reveal. No shady people are showing up going, "You're an angel, Clara." (I did that in a Hagrid voice). She has a mom who knows who she is and can instruct her and help her, actively. She's also not chasing after boys for attention, and boys aren't really chasing after her either. And all these characters in her life, they grow so slowly and perfectly. Because all of a sudden you're involved in what's going on and find yourself supporting all of it.

Plus! These boys are legit, okay? No creepiness. No "I love you forever" out of nowhere. No "pay attention to me me me me." They are just pretty cool guys. There's no real love triangle here, but there is a bit of a...pull for focus, I guess. Clara is determined to protect Christian, but she's getting the vibes that it's also part of her purpose to be actually in love with him. And that's where things get crazy. It's more of a responsibility (maybe?) versus genuine love.

Idk, I thought it was cool take on a love triangle. I've seen versions of it before, but it's never felt as...hefty? as this one.

Anyway, there are also a lot of unanswered questions that drove me crazy. I think Angela is not to be trusted. I want to know what is going on with Jeffrey. And the mom! Is she all weak and stuff because of work? Really? Nope, something else is going on there.

Beforehand:
uggghh, this was such a first book! next book NOW.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

05/20/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/21/2013
20.0% "i like the way this is starting off. yay, a respectable protagonist in an angel pn novel!"
05/21/2013
84.0% "this book! so sneaky with the romance! i thought i could logic things away but what are you dooinnggg, book!?"
05/21/2013 marked as: read