Robin's Reviews > The Healing

F 50x66
Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from April 05 to 14, 2012

Thank you Goodreads, another outstanding free book. Where do I start? This was the amazing story of a young slave girl, Granada, taken from her mother by the Master's wife to take the place of their deceased daughter. Raised in the main house, she grows up unaware of the suffering of her fellow slaves working in the fields until she is chosen by a healer, the amazing Polly Shine, to come live and apprentice alongside her in a makeshift hospital on the plantation grounds. The story shifts back and forth between a grown Granada telling her stories to a young girl who has lost her mother and the actual stories themselves. Growing up in a northern town where the only black family in the community was looked upon as just another family, I felt this story was important for people like me to read. You've heard about the inequality and injustice thrust upon the slaves most of your life, but this makes it so much more real. I will not forget the wisdom of Polly Shine as she tries to get Granada to see who she really is. Thank you Jonathan Odell for an eye opening book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healing.