Cindy Crawford's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Mar 22, 2012

Read from March 19 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This is the first book of a new dystopian Young Adult trilogy. In this future, when teens turn 16 they have go through a simulation "test" to decide which faction they will fit into, and then they make a decision on which they want to join. If they choose to leave their home faction, they may never see their family again--the motto all live by is "faction before blood."

The factions all emphasize one aspect of personality--Abnegation, Dauntless, Candor, Erudite, or Amity. The main character, Beatrice, leaves Abnegation to join Dauntless. But she also learns that she is "divergent," one of the few people who do not show a clear preference for one faction. So in addition to trying to survive the harsh Dauntless initiation, she has to hide her Divergence in order to save her life.

Overall the book was good--I liked it more than I thought I would and will plan to read the next book in the trilogy. The characters are well-developed and the world well-defined. I like the narrator, Tris. She's not a perfect or even a particularly noble person, but she is real as she struggles with figuring out who she is and tries to fit in. She also falls in love, pretty quickly, with another Divergent, although both of them carefully hide that fact from each other.

The end of this book seemed rushed to me--at the end the hinted about plot against Abnegation comes to fruition, but not much time is spent on it. After a very detailed account of the Tris's initiation, the actual "zombiefying" of Dauntless and the resulting murder/war on Abnegation, including Tris's parents, all seems to happen very quickly. Maybe that's because it's book one of a trilogy, or maybe it's because it's YA--I honestly don't read enough YA to know.

The ending of the book is a cliff hanger, with Tris and Four fleeing Erudite and their own Dauntless leaders, uncertain of what they will do or where they will go. As I said before, I'll definitely read the next book to see where they go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.