Jess's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012-all, 2012-new, non-fiction, library-book
Read from April 16 to 24, 2012

This is not the life-changing book about writing that I was promised, but I did enjoy most of it. (Senseless television bashing aside. Stop that shit, it undercuts your entire argument.) And the part where he talks about plot was very comforting. Glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

04/16/2012 page 34
12.0% "And that's a flag for needless television bashing." 2 comments
04/17/2012 page 66
23.0% "She smiled at me. I smiled back. Sometimes these things are not accidents. I'm almost sure of it."
04/23/2012 page 148
51.0% "Seriously, enough with the television bashing. It's gross and makes me think less of what you're saying."
04/24/2012 page 163
57.0% ""I distrust plot for two reasons: first, because our lives are largely plotless, even when you add in all our reasonable precautions and careful planning; and second, because I believe plotting and the spontaneity of real creation aren't compatible.""

Katie This is not the life-changing book about writing that I was promised, but I did enjoy most of it

Yep. I feel like that pretty much sums it up.

message 2: by Jess (last edited Apr 24, 2012 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess I mean, given the reverent way this book is spoken of, I just thought there would be more. What there was was interesting, but there was really no way it could meet the expectations others set.

Katie Exactly! Have you readSometimes the Magic Works: Lessons from a Writing Life? I looooove that one. And I know I've mentioned A Circle of Quiet to you, but yeah. That one is awesome, even though it's not really meant as a "writing" book. (She MIGHT television bash a little? But, hey, it's L'Engle and the book is decades old.)

Jess I have not! I will add that to my list. And I need to check to see if I have A Circle of Quiet. If I do, I haven't read it. And, you know, I can live with someone not liking tv. But don't talk about the pulp novels you read and how you watch baseball on tv and then bash the entire thing. Just don't do that.