Ulfah's Reviews > Heroes of the Valley

Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud

Mar 19, 12

** spoiler alert ** Well, I know that I shouldn't get my hopes to high whenever I read a book from the same writer who previously wrote an amazing book in advance, that is to say my favoritism for the Bartimeus trilogy. And so, although I hope for the comical, humorous book in the Heroes of the Valley, I still tried to continue to read it further despite that it's just not as exciting as how I've read Bartimeus. I kinda like Halli because he's someone who develops his personality through experience, and I guess I like him for being hot blooded too. And I love Aud cos she's just very interesting, lively and daring, and funny too. But the thing that really bothers me is the slow beginning and the very rapidly wrapped ending. It's as if I was wishing that rather than detailing the beginning, wouldn't it just be better to elaborate the ending?

And I guess I was actually hoping that the Trows were just simply stories made by their ancestors, and both Halli and Aud would find a real history like some dark reasoning of why the Heroes want to kept the people in the dark by never stepping outside of their Houses, and so I was just sort of not appealed when the ending was just a bit too much. Zombie? No mention on how Hord ended up? How did the ancestors become these living dead?

I don't know, I like the middle part, but the ending for me seems to be too easily concluded. I thought that some complexity might be elaborated towards the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes of the Valley.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pradini (new)

Pradini Amalia I totally agree with you. I just read the book and I know it's years late to post this comment, LOL. I questioned the same way about the living dead. Doesn't make sense at all and seems like my efforts to finish this book were in vain!