Lesley's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Aug 09, 2008

bookshelves: boy, heavy, real, teen

I don't know why it took me so long to read this one, especially since once I started, I couldn't stop. What I really like is how the flaws of the characters aren't varnished over. There were times when I was just as angry as Clay was at Hannah for not only killing herself without giving some of the people around her a chance to help, but then putting them through the torture of listening to the tapes. But then other times, my heart was breaking for her and I was on the edge of my seat to find out who did what next. It did get a little melodramatic (for cynical old non-teenage me) and I found it very hard to believe that a school would ignore that many warning signs without stepping in. But then kids slip through the cracks at the school where my husband teachers every year. I think it would be a great book to read as a jumping-off point for discussions since everyone has something to learn from it: the kids who are hovering on the brink of suicide, the kids who don't realize that the little things they think are funny might push those other kids over the edge, and the kids who might not be too late.