Nanya's Reviews > The Devil's Tide

The Devil's Tide by Matt Tomerlin

F_50x66
Jul 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

I had very high expectations of this novel due to the brilliance of the first in the series and I am happy to say that I was not at all disapointed.

The action was more intensified than the first and there was plenty of gore to acompany it. I honestly could not stop reading, I was without a doubt completely addicted to the adventure, violence, gore and the charming manner of which the pirates spoke in.

At first I was not too sure about the new characters but I quickly grew fond of them, particularly Calloway who like Kate in the first novel grew into quite a couragous, powerful women. And I do enjoy novels that host powerful women. There were times during the novel when I felt like stomping on my kindle (spoiler) like when Blackbeard ordered his men to take in a girl and do whatever they pleased with her.

Tomerlin's audacious manner of writing is very admirable and is creates a potent image of what real pirates were like. He doesn't flutter around the horrible natures of particular people like a lot of writers do but rather intensely projects a clear idea of even the most despicable of traits. However, I wish there was more of Kate and I was aslo disapointed in Nathan's end as I thought him a much more intelligent person.

Overall the book was brilliant, daring and utterly addictive. I am hoping there is another. There has to be another! Tomerlin truly is an amazing writer and it's clear success is within his very near reach.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Tide.