Maura Lewis's Reviews > Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

Jun 21, 13

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from March 19 to April 09, 2012

I was almost certain the combination of the stamp 'New York Times Bestseller', and the fact that this book was, for lack of a better term, the sequel to one of my favorite books of all time (meaning, of course, 'Eat, Pray, Love) would make it an instantly loved work of nonfiction that would stay permanently parked on my bookshelf forever. Boy, was I in for disappointment. It took me forever to finish this book. Not only was I neither interested, nor engaged, at times I felt offended with what can only be described as Gilbert bluntly beating me over the head repeatedly with frankly nothing more than her opinion; stating that since her previous marriage had ended in disaster, ALL young married people must be fool hearty and naive to the fact that one day their marriage too will end messily in a lawyers office. The concept was intriguing-a study of marriage in different cultures around the world, and throughout time (hence the single star) yet there was nothing to support statistic after statistic, point after point, except a small, pathetic paragraph in the back of the book. I wanted a full bibliography, I wanted to know she wasn't pulling the whole book out of her ass! That was probably the biggest irritation of all. The story was so predictable, I felt nothing during what were obviously meant to be dramatic, heartfelt scenes between characters. Even if you are a fan of previous works, as I am, heed my words and skip this one! You will be glad you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Committed.