Roxanne Hsu Feldman's Reviews > A Thousand Never Evers

A Thousand Never Evers by Shana Burg

Sep 01, 08

bookshelves: 6-8grade, historicalfiction, bestbooks
Read in August, 2008

This novel told in present tense is emotional and powerful.

I like the Notes to Readers before, rather then after, the story. It sets the stage and does not pretend to be true but it presents enough historical connection to the story. The author is very good with language and very appropriate figure of speech for Addie Ann.

The one thing that I don't quite get is why Addie has to have the issue with ""quivering lower lip"" -- and on page 251 when there is serious danger, she does not mention quivering lip!

Some speifics:

p. 160-161: highly visual and emotional
Addie's friendship and jealousy with Delilah are very realistically presented and ring absolutely true

p.194 So I close my eyes and look for the river, feel the river, am the river. Am the water crashing over the rock, over the riverbed, rushing so fast, not stoppin, not stopping, while I tell the story."" <-- love the description and the rhythm of the language.

Some questions:
Are the hoodoo and Addie Ann's supernatural powers (dreams and the glinting messages from her brother's ""spirit"", hearing his voice, etc.) necessary in telling the story? Does this make the tale less ""real"" since Addie's evidence in Mr. Mudge's crime comes from a dream message...

p. 245 -- the line about the imaginary bicycle rings very true
and yet completely literary!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Never Evers.