JoJo's Reviews > Chasing Harry Winston

Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger

Aug 09, 08

bookshelves: vaginas-only, brain-candy-aka-mindless-fluff
Recommended to JoJo by: i fell for the marketing ploys and the memory of the great movie
Recommended for: NOBODY. a rare instance when theatre takes precedence over prose
Read in June, 2008

this book sucked. i was really upset because i loved the devil wears prada movie and i assumed this next book would be as good as the movie i saw. it was poorly written, poorly edited, and the book sucked so much that when the author came to my work at borders for a book signing, i didn't even go meet her or try to get a signature. i was afraid i would tell her that her writing was garbage.

the book is about women who are whining and depressed about being 29 and single, so cliche. the characters: a brazillian bombshell ho, a Miss Perfectoid Dork Nerd literary agent, and last but not least, a tubby-lard assed chef who is more desperate to get a guy than anyone (way to play on two cliches- the "fat girl that likes food" and "fat girl who's clingy and desperate"

for a modern and succesful woman, laura jewberger really does nothing for her peers or for the young women who probably read her books and look up to her. this is BRAIN POISON! No surprise to me she's already married, sounds like she was in a desperate rush to get hitched herself and is writing about how neurotic she felt as a single woman before she got married, back in the days when she was backstabbing her boss at vogue (waaaaaaah! my boss won't look at me in the elevator! waaaaaaah! my boss didn't notice my new shoes!)

this book is up for swap because i'd like to get rid of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Harry Winston.