Libby Ames's Reviews > Another Pan

Another Pan by Daniel Nayeri

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: fairy-tale-retelling, fantasy, young-adult-fiction, audio-book
Read in March, 2012

I have really mixed feelings about this book. It is an excellently read audio book. I only picked it up because Katherine Kelgren was the reader and, as usual, she is amazing. My problem was the fact that I couldn't decide whether Peter was good or bad for most of the book. I think that was the point, but the fairy tale lover in me was bothered. It was definitely an interesting version of Peter Pan and worth it to listen to Katherine Kelgren, but I didn't love it.

Another Pan is a much darker version of Peter Pan placed in a more modern age with hints of Egyptian mythology sprinkled throughout. Wendy and John Darling are students at Marlowe, an elitist New York high school, because their father is a member of the faculty. They are embarrassed by their father’s obsession with Egyptology until they begin working on a special exhibit arranged for the school. They meet Peter, a mysterious new RA, and his gang of boys who refer to themselves as the LBs. Soon Wendy and John are swept up in Peter’s quest to find ‘bone dust’, a dust in the bones of certain mummies and purported to bring eternal life. Strangely, these bones are found in a part of the Egyptian underworld that has relocated to beneath the Marlowe school.

For readers expecting a flying and light-hearted Peter with a harmless crush on sweet, motherly Wendy, this is quite a different story. The evil in Another Pan is much deeper than bumbling Captain Hook and Peter’s selfish desire for immortality is more cutting. In spite of the darker feel, the story is well constructed and exciting to read. I listened to the audio book excellently read by Katherine Kelgren. The story is clean and appropriate for teen readers, but a little too dark and suspenseful for younger children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Pan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jamie I also picked it up because of Katherine Kellgren! She is amazing, but even then I couldn't finish this book.