Heather's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in June, 2009

I guess I'm in the minority in my opinion of The Host. It seems most people liked it, and even enjoyed it. I, however, cannot say the same. I was hoping that reading this book would raise Stephanie Meyer back into my esteem, but I found this book painfully too long (I think she likes to hear herself write...and what was her editor thinking?), and I can't stand her self-deprecating heroines and overly controlling male counterparts. I think she must have some kind of latent fascination with victim complexes and love triangles--or at least she thinks that what readers want, because all her books contain these elements.

I really wanted to like this book! I think the idea was an intriguing one, and Meyer's vision of what Wanderer's previous lives were like on other planets was interesting. But too many things bugged me. I got claustrophobic reading about the caves and kept waiting for something different. And why--after hundreds of pages--did Wanda finally realize she actually did know how to remove a soul from a host? It seemed totally contrived and unbelievable, and I felt duped. Honestly, don't you think Wanda would have remembered much earlier in the story that as a Bear she had removed a soul and inserted it into the claw beast? That was "her most exciting story," and yet she conveniently forgot the whole thing until she needed a way to save the Seeker. Hmmm, I don't like being played the fool as a reader.

I would recommend this book simply because of the idea behind it, with a disclaimer about the length. I'll take Katniss (The Hunger Games) over Wanda/Mel any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

06/15/2009 page 362