Michelle's Reviews > Two Crafty Criminals!: and how they were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang

Two Crafty Criminals! by Philip Pullman

5281931
Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: action-adventure, arc, children-s, middle-grade, mystery-thriller, netgalley
Read from March 18 to 31, 2012

Two Crafty Criminals! and How They Were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang is actually a really long, unwieldy new title for two previously released UK novellas: Thunderbolt's Waxwork and The Gas-Fitters' Ball. These two hilarious stories tell the adventures of a 'gang' of enchanting, lively, quirky, kids in Victorian England.

Once again, Pullman has crafted characters that dwell in the reader's mind rather than the page. These kids are real kids: by turns smart, clueless, brave, cowardly, resourceful, compassionate, condescending, or just plain weird. Pullman takes turns following the different children, boy and girl alike, with each holding their own. I think that Two Crafty Criminals would be an exuberantly lively and amusing read to boys and girls alike--no matter which character takes the lead.

Pullman also does and excellent job of establishing time and place. He drops little hints here and there that make the story feel authentically Victorian, while never allowing the setting to overrun the story. And the slang is just fun; it was an absolute delight to read this aloud to my son!

The mysteries, and the antics the kids get up to while solving them, are often over-the-top--making them feel like the stories kids tell each other about their weekends or school vacations while bragging at recess. They are easily solved, but in a way that leaves young readers feeling triumphant at having figured things out. Plus, there are whimsically amusing pictures scattered throughout.

I think that Two Crafty Criminals joins the ranks of other Pullman works that are a pleasure to read aloud at bedtime. It would also do well to encourage a newly independent chapter book reader. My only caveat: the stories lend themselves best to younger middle grade readers, but the ability needed to understand the slang from context clues, and the occasionally difficult vocabulary words, make them better for older middle grade readers.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Crafty Criminals!.

Wendy Darling Ohh, I really want to read this! Love PP. Look forward to your review. :)

Michelle Ha! I am actually finishing up reading it tonight. My son loves PP as well, and this just screamed to be a read-aloud, so we are reading it together and he will give me his opinions after for the review. I am actually pretty excited about it!