Carl's Reviews > Wittgenstein's Mistress

Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson

M_50x66
Aug 13, 08

Read in August, 2008

I really liked this book, so much so that right after I finished it I began reading David Foster Wallace's 25 page book review, which, according to Markson himself, was very in depth and insightful. About 4 pages into that I stopped and realized that I perhaps didn't understand the book as well as I thought I did, and that a working knowledge of Wittgenstein actually would have helped. Not a knowledge of a few of his catch phrases but a fundamental understanding of his work. Who takes titles so literally? Even DFW himself admits that Wittgenstein's 'Tractatus...' is migraine inducing in its difficulty. Long story short: David Foster Wallace kind of ruined the book for me by exposing my ignorance.

What I will say is that it is very readable considering its unreliable narrator repetitious first person stream-of-consciousness chapterless and plotless ways. It definitely makes me want to read more David Markson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wittgenstein's Mistress.