Zahir's Reviews > The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower

The Devil We Know by Robert Baer

M 50x66
Mar 18, 12

Read in July, 2011

With the current political situation today, and the politicians beating the war drums about Iran, Robert Baer seems to be a very drowned out voice of reason, but also a speaker of truth. His experience as a CIA agent who is extremely familiar with Iran, it's culture and history, he lays out a very very well reasoned analysis as to why our positions toward Iran are counterproductive, and why war with Iran would be an absolutly terrible idea.

Even thought it was written in 2008, the general truths remain the same as to the nature of the threats coming from Iran, their attitudes, our attitudes, and exactly how dangerous the nation can be. He explains with a lot of facts and analysis as to why Iran is not run by a bunch of religious wackos, but rather by a group of extremely intelligent, calculating, dangerous people, who are also very rational actors. He analyzes Iran's defensive strategies, their investments in people and partners, their ability to act through proxies, and just how dangerous they can be if they are not approached properly.

This is not just a good read, it's a must read for any politican or anyone interested in foreign affairs with respect to the Middle East.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil We Know.