Joseph's Reviews > Chase

Mar 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, graphic-novel
Read from March 18 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I don't understand why the big comics companies create a new property, only to refuse to let it breathe. Chase could have been interesting -- a large scale, international, big budget version of Gotham Central perhaps, but instead it devolved into nothing more than a tie-in to the rest of the DC universe.

There's potential in Cameron's backstory that's not really taken advantage of. The mysteries of her own superpowers seem to be completely forgotten about halfway through the book. The biggest problem, though, is that Chase is never really given a story of her own. Political intrigue, a traitor at the DEO, some sort of organization working against her ... any of that might have made this compelling, instead of just something floating around the margins of DC's other books.

Take, for example, Cameron's attempts to unmask Batman. It's probably the most interesting part of the book, but for the most part, it's about Batman being able to trick her ... in her own book. There's an attempt to emphasize that she's learned a valuable lesson about herself, but really, she can't even manage to come out on top in her own book. Frankly, I think she was more interesting when she showed up in Manhunter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chase.

Noetic_Hatter It's a lot like watching a TV show that was canceled before it really got started. There's a great deal of potential here, and I liked her supporting cast. It would have been nice to see more.

Didn't know she turned up in Manhunter. Yet another reason I need to get those trades.