Jane Woodside's Reviews > Building Wings: How I Made It Through School

Building Wings by Don Johnston

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

Building Wings: How I Made It Through School by Don Johnson is a really great book about a learner with an intellectual disability. In this book Don is telling about his past and his years in school and how it made it through. He talks about from when he was starting school up until he graduated. I thought it was such a moving story because he talks about how badly his teacher would pick on him and put him in “the baby reading group.”
Don Johnson’s story is very relatable to young readers. I think young readers would find it interesting to read this particular story, especially if they themselves had a learning disability. I think Don presents this story so readers can relate with him. Well, not all students I suppose. However, those who have a learning disability will definitely be able to relate. The information Don presents in his story is very accurate and authentic about him. He tells you about his personal life story and how his teacher and fellow classmates treated him in the classroom. While reading this story I was very intrigued and it definitely had my attention.
I thought this book was a very good story. I thought Don did a good job at keeping the readers attention and also at telling his story. I would definitely use this book in the classroom because it does a great job at showing the reader how children with a learning disability feels in the classroom and with peers and teachers. Not only does this book relate to just the child who has a learning disability, but it also triggers other students. It helps students understand how the child with a learning disability feels and how they should and shouldn’t act with other students. This book is a great book and I really enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Wings.