Daryl Nash's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages

Fables, Vol. 12 by Bill Willingham

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from March 12 to 18, 2012

Let me come clean first: all of the comparisons of Fables to Sandman do this series no favors. In fact, when I initially tried to get into Fables a few years ago, I was turned off by the fact that it was not as sharp as Sandman. But that's not really a fair comparison. Sandman sits on a high pedestal for me, and not every book can be expected to be a classic.

So, with my expectations adjusted, I started Fables again several months ago, and was pleasantly surprised. It was better than I remembered.

Unfortunately, that feeling didn't hold. About volume 7, the flaws of Fables became more apparent again. Willingham's sense of pacing is, charitably, odd. He ends scenes at unnatural breaking points. His dialogue is passable -- not bad, really, but not distinct either, regardless of the characters' origin, location, time, or situation. The plot seems to meander along one thing after another, with no sense of purpose. For instance, a certain character dies in this volume, and while I was saddened to see him go, it didn't feel like there was a good reason for it.

While Fables has had some wonderful moments and stories, I find that we've lost or side-lined most of the characters that I cared about, and the stories have not made me fall in love with either them or the other characters, so it's time to say farewell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 12.