William Thomas's Reviews > Blue Estate Volume 1

Blue Estate Volume 1 by Viktor Kalvachev

Mar 18, 12

Read in March, 2012

Art was my life at one time. I loved it, I made it, I couldn't stop looking at it. I think that's why I am so attracted to comic books- the marriage of art and literature does something to my brain that I just can't properly describe. Its just perfect.

When its bad, though, its really bad. Blue Estate isn't that bad. Its just not that good.

The greatest part of this series is the brilliant and bold cover art by Viktor Kalvachev. The compositions, the coloring, the lighting and contrast are all perfect. The interior art though, makes the reading of the book a challenge. Blue Estate has too many cooks in the kitchen and struggles to find a single voice. Instead it feels disjointed and discombobulated, partly because the artwork is done by a few different artists, but also because the story is just a big jumbled mess.

Too many POV's, too many characters, too many scene breaks, the book cannot be more schizophrenic. I think this may be due to the fact that it is trying very hard to fit a '100 Bullets' plot into what would be better suited as a 'Criminal' styled one-off.

Image should have waited and compounded the first full story arc as well, becausr this one is left dangling. Despite the flaws, I'd still like to see where it goes. I like the art and story for the most part, I just think its struggling to find its own voice. Its got some very big ambitions, though, and I like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Estate Volume 1.