Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Coraline

liked it
bookshelves: youngadultfantasy
Recommended for: weird kids
Read in July, 2007

Choosing to read this book before bed my first week living alone was not a great idea. During the day, this book is a little quirky and creepy. At night, it could be downright scary. I ended up reading most of it over breakfast rather than as a bedtime story.

This book really does read like a dark Alice in Wonderland, complete with Alice in Wonderland's complete disregard for answering any of the "why?" questions. I wanted all the characters to be a bit more substantial (no pun intended), and I was disappointed that this book didn't really explain things or wrap them up in the end. In some stories, I'm willing to just accept without needing everything to tie together, but in this book, I really wanted it to.

I think this book's creepiness was the best part for me -- not since I read House of Leaves has a book actually scared me. Also, Neil Gaiman creates all sorts of new creepies in this book while still using some tried-and-true creepies, such as ghosts and disembodied limbs. The Other Mother was terrible and intriguing. I look forward to seeing the movie -- in the movie I think I'd be more willing to accept everything without explanation.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.

message 1: by Kalin (new)

Kalin I have to agree with you on some parts, but I will say that I think for the type of story it was, it was very well written.

I agree whole heartedly on the last bit though. House of Leaves and Coraline have been the two scariest books I have read in a long time. Not because they have a bunch of scary creatuers, but because they both get into your head the same way! I ended up having to read House of Leaves somewhere with people, such as school or the mall. Coraline was the same way, but it didn't last as long, I ended up finishing it at the book store :P