Trey Jackson's Reviews > X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

X-Men by Chris Claremont

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: comics, superhero
Read in March, 2012

There's a lot I like about this story, even though it's also got its share of melodrama and overwriting which hasn't aged well. But William Stryker is a great character -- most other anti-mutant demagogues or fundamentalists in comics aren't this fully humanized -- and Claremont of course has a firm grasp on the X-Men. It's also readable without knowing anything about the X-men, and encapsulates the themes, character elements, and superhero elements that have made it an enduring property. And although I noted that the writing can be obvious, one thing that's struck me about these older comics is that you're never lost. Pick any issue at random, and you'll be told not only who the characters are and what they can do, but through captions and thought balloons you get what's important to them and what they're struggling with. Even in the middle of a storyline, you can jump in and figure it out, and although modern iterations of the X-Men are written more naturalistically, I can't make that same connection to the characters if I haven't been reading along for months beforehand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men.