Danny's Reviews > Gods Without Men

Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: library-book
Read in March, 2012

In the Mojave desert there's a butte topped by three spires of rock called the Pinnacles. It's the sort of place that has a power all its own, and the characters in this novel find themselves drawn there. Skipping through time, from Spanish missionaries in 1778 to a burned out British rock star 2009, Hari Kunzru's novel weaves together the people whose lives are affected by the desert formation. Is it the trickster god Coyote trying to come out on top, or aliens communicating with hippies in geodesic domes? Is it the simply the beauty of a modern National Park, or the lost language of the Native Americans who once lived there?

Silhouetted against this central mystery are all the ways the characters try to make sense of their own realities. Everyone has their own way of viewing the world, and coming to the Pinnacles encourages them to live up to their own convictions, for better or worse.

Let's call this an unfinished review. I'm all tired and junk.

The point I'm getting around to is this: It's a book about belief systems and faith and worldviews, but it's not preachy or anything. It's an examination of why we can't get along, even when we want to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods Without Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Attila Cthulhuson You make it sound interesting and junk.

Danny The more I think about it, the last line may be more what I want the book to be about than what it is actually about. But the rest is true.

Attila Cthulhuson But that was the part that sold it! You sold it with LIES????

Danny Yes. I mean, it's sort of about that sometimes.

Attila Cthulhuson So it was a quasi-lie?

Attila Cthulhuson Why must you continue to break my heart????

Danny That's the way it has to be. No it isn't. Yes it is. I'll tell you next Tuesday.

Attila Cthulhuson OY! My emotions!