Merin's Reviews > Slide

7319719
Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: netgalley, read-in-2012
Read on March 18, 2012

Thank you to HarperCollins and Balzer + Bray (via NetGalley) for the e-galley of Slide.

Slide tells the story of Vee, a girl who has the ability to "slide" into the minds of others if she touches an object they touched. Mostly she sees humdrum things, like teachers sneaking liquor, her sister crying, etc. All of that changes, however, when she slides into the mind of a killer right after they've murdered her sister's best friend, Sophie. The murder is considered a suicide, and only Vee knows the truth. As such, she takes it upon herself to use her ability to slide in order to figure out who is responsible for Sophie's death.

This was a thoroughly engrossing read, which I devoured in a matter of hours. The mystery and suspense were first rate, and I loved the idea of Vee's ability; it was something totally fresh and new. However, the highlight for me was watching Vee interact with her friends and family, in particular her barely-home father and her younger sister, Mattie (her relationship with Mattie was my favorite). I felt like this was an extremely accurate look at the life of a teenage girl who's serving as her younger sister's mom (her mom died from cancer several years ago, and her dad is never home) while trying to deal with the things she herself has gone through or is currently experiencing. While I enjoyed the supernatural portion of this story, it was Vee's humanity, faults and feelings that made this a really great read. I'm looking forward to the next installment in this world.

Slide will be released in North America on March 27th, 2012. I highly recommend you check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slide.